…And ideally three heads was the goal.
At the beginning of the month I set a goal to sculpt three heads per week. I haven’t created any new heads or Spirit Messengers in months and my artistic muse has been a bit all over the place. Of course, just as I set this goal, I started receiving wholesale orders and my schedule became a bit more complicated.
Anyways, I set aside some time over a few days to start sculpting heads. Every time I do this, I realize how much I truly enjoy this form of art. I can get lost in the making of a face and soon an hour, then two hours has passed.
I decided to start with some old heads I formed months ago for a demo. These were large, egg-shaped heads that I’ve kept wrapped in plastic. They have an aluminum foil core covered with a layer of scrap clay and then a layer of Super Sculpey.
I scraped the face off one of the heads, added a bit more clay, reformed the head, and started over.
My inspiration for these heads were characters from Cirque du Soleil’s Kooza The first head was inspired by the character “Innocent.”
I was so happy when I saw how she looked that I completely forgot to take a picture of her sans headsock. The headsock is a baby sock that I found. On this piece, it reminds me of a long ski cap. I’m not much of a sewer but would love to learn how to make her a real hat. Any suggestions?
“Innocent” has also been given the name “Snake lady.”
Now I don’t typically give my Spirit Messengers hair. I’ve always liked that bald, exposed head. But for the fun of it, I tucked a small amount of wool roving under “Innocent’s” hat band to see how this changes her look.
What do you think? Do you like her bald or with hair? I’m thinking she might actually be hiding a bed-head hairstyle under that headsock.
The next head was inspired by the King’s court clowns. First you’ll see how these heads look when they come out of the oven. At this stage I call them my empty souls.
(One thing I’m learning about Super Sculpey is that it does color shift slightly in the oven unless you cover it with foil. I lay the heads on a pad of cotton batting. If the head isn’t covered with foil, you end up with a slight “suntanned” face and a lighter back of the head. Might also try decreasing the oven temperature too.)
I’d say this clown is rather excited to have his face now:
And with his hat and hair. (Note-the hair and hat are not yet attached so I had to hold his head and take the picture. And yes, I used the vignette effect here to try and cover up my fingers.)
Super Sculpey is a flesh toned clay. It is soft, easy to condition and manipulate. I’m a big fan of the Creager’s and have been incorporating some of their techniques for coloring the heads. This involves using soft pastels to add skin tone coloring. I use a combination of small brushes and my fingers to apply the pastels.
Then I use paints to bring life to the eyes and to highlight wrinkles, creases, and other areas of shadow, to add lip color and eyebrows.
In Other News
I am honored to be the featured artist and business this week on two different sites.
On the Right Brain Business Plan (RBBP) site, my business and business plan is featured in the RBBP Spotlight Read about how this course and the business plan recharged my business. I also give some tips for budding solo-entreprenuers at the end of the interview.